Wednesday 30 January 2013

Negociated Project

Its the final week of negotiated projects and if I knuckle down and do a few late nights I think i'll make the deadline. Im still not feeling 100% well which is annoying as i've been ill for almost a month now! I feel so lethargic which doesn't help when I have so much painting, blogging and essay work and sketching to do!

I started my portrait painting when I was in London. I decided to do it in the style of Gustav Klimt. The Opera House gave me a second project and i asked if i could make it a painting, planning on killing two birds with one stone! I didn't get that much done in London as I ended up having to re-do a lot of it.
Today I made....ok so today I didn't make too much progress because of being ill and having a bad nights sleep. I did make a bit of progress and looking at my portrait again a week later and talking with Gary I can see what changes I need to make to improve it.



For my figure painting I decided to do a Degas which I got finished in time for Christmas  I was quite happy with it as it was a style that I hadn't done before and I enjoyed the way it was so smooth. I think If I didn't have to go to that paint-call that day before Christmas I could have got it finished in 2-3 days which would have been a record for me! I didn't really stick to my deadlines for the negotiated project, I'm sticking to the final deadline date but I think when I don't know exactly how much time i'm going to have to work on them and making myself work on days that I don't have the concentration or the motivation I don't get much done so that why I didn't really stick to the dates. I was supposed to have my Degas finished by the 7 Dec, I think I finished it on the 15 Dec as I had to come in one Saturday to do some last minute adjustments! I am happy with it but I don't think I can pass it off as a replica as it doesn't really look anything like the original. I really need to improve my drawing skills and spend more time being more thorough in my drawing and getting things exact before I start applying the paint.


The first painting I did was my landscape. I did a Van Gough sea scape. Although it took me ages to make a start on this painting as I was so scared about the style he painted in. It was very rough and full of feeling which was very different from what i'd done on my previous paintings. Once I made a start to it though and actually learnt to feel the painting rather than concentrate on getting every exact line the same I did have fun painting it and really love the finished product. If it hadn't procrastinated so much to start this painting I think I may have been able to keep to the deadline dates.


I have really enjoyed this negotiated project module and have realised that I should definitely use the facilities at uni to work on personal projects and expand my portfolio before I no longer have that opportunity. It has made me realise that I need to improve my drawing skills and concentrate more on the drawing before just slapping on the paint. If the drawing is wrong then the painting will be wrong. I'm planning a couple more paintings to make a start on during my bridge week that I will definitely put a lot more effort into to make my portfolio look better!

No comments:

Post a Comment