Friday 23 November 2012

Independent learning week...

So last week the whole conservatoire had the week off to catch up with work, or sleep. I had been offered some work with my boss from Underbelly and Irwin who I worked on outpost with, so I used my week to go and work on the Carnegie Hall panto 'Hansel & Gretel' which was great fun. The set was beautiful and Irwin clearly had full trust in my abilities and gave me a project of working on the woodcutters cottage and just left me to it.
I also did a bit of work on a beautiful forest gauze with her and we textured some trees with muslin and PVA.
The people I was working with were lovely and they made me feel like one of the team straight away which was really good. I really enjoyed working in the theater and working with the crew and carpenters. It made me realise just how much I love what im doing and it made me really look forward to graduating and being in the real world.
I was talking to Irwin about it and I know that its going to be hard to get jobs and there are going to be busy and slow periods but im excited!
It also showed me, although I kind of already know this from working at Underbelly, that its the kind of industry where you have to be thick skinned, you cant let things get to you and you have to just be laid back and not easily offended. Its good to have a positive attitude and from working with underbelly and theater crew in general, you need to be able to have a laugh, I think its quite a male orientated industry so its good to  have a joke and be able to take everything on the chin. I think even working with Gary and Matt and Simon, they're quite cheeky, especially Gary but I don't take anything they say personally and just give as much back as them, I think that's the best way to be.
The model box


Forest gauze


Woodcutters house


Almost finished

Im so happy that I was approved next week off as im really looking forward to working with Irwin again, as she is just so lovely and im learning so much from working with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment